The Open Leadership team and its community are currently running 4 research programmes with a twofold objective: improve diversity policies and transform leadership in organizations toward a climate of inclusion.
Scientifically demonstrate the positive and intertwined relationship between diversity, inclusion, leadership and overall company performance.
Issues of gender equality and more broadly of diversity and inclusion have for many years been among the major concerns facing organizations. These questions are crucial for companies not only from an ethical point of view but also from a strategic perspective. Companies are now looking for new levers to boost diversity and progress on inclusion.
The research being done at the Open Leadership Centre focuses on the development of a methodology and new indicators to measure and analyse the positive impacts of diversity and inclusion on company performance (financial and human performance) and identify the role played by leadership.
- 2018 study: Diversity, Inclusion & Leadership Link
- Company audits to demonstrate that a climate of inclusion combined with an inclusive leadership culture drive economic and human performance
- Conferences on diversity and inclusion and how they relate to leadership and performance (on EDHEC Business School campuses or on company premises)
- Workshops entitled “From diversity to inclusion: Sharing best practices” (on EDHEC Business School campuses)
The leadership model of an organization can be more or less explicit. It is shared by the organization’s members and depicts the best and/or expected way to demonstrate leadership. Our purpose therefore is to promote a new leadership model that generates greater inclusion and is most effective in the specific context of the organization.
The Open Leadership Centre draws on its expertise of scientifically validated measurement scales to develop a tailored and contextualized leadership assessment tool.
Measuring the leadership style and effectiveness of a company’s managers is a way to pinpoint the leadership styles and behaviours that are most closely associated with: 1) a climate of inclusion; and 2) good human performance (satisfaction, motivation, commitment).
Academic research on leadership behaviours which make it possible to:
- promote the most efficient leadership model depending on the specific organizational context and culture
- manage the paradoxes encountered in companies
- Leadership model audit to identify the profile of the effective leader in the specific context of the company
- Dynamic design of a tailored and contextualized 360° leadership assessment tool for managers
- Exploration with managers and top executives of the paradoxes they face daily in their company
- Workshops on “Being aware of leadership stereotypes” (on EDHEC Business School campuses or on company premises).
- On-site training: “Understand and analyse your leadership style and behaviours”
- Personalized and remote leadership coaching
The concept of inclusive leadership refers to the set of behaviours a leader can display to value diversity and enable every member of a group to feel integrated, accepted and recognised in his/her uniqueness.
The EDHEC Open Leadership centre is amongst the first and most advanced to address this area. The aim of our programme is to clarify the inclusive leadership concept and to identify the management and leadership practices that strengthen inclusion and performance.
The centre proposes to boost progress on diversity and inclusion in organizations through an innovative lever: inclusive leadership.
In order to assess inclusive leadership, the EDHEC Open Leadership Centre is developing a scientifically validated scale measuring the behaviours specific to inclusive leaders.
- Research programme to clarify the inclusive leadership concept and develop a scale to assess it for various kinds of leaders.
- Co-construction workshop with community stakeholders on “How to build more inclusive leadership”, with the aim of building a typology of inclusive leaders’ behaviours, taking organizational context into account
- Exchanges with experts in the fields of diversity, inclusion and leadership to develop the concept and test its robustness
- Field study of leaders’ inclusive behaviours in our partner companies. Measurement of the impacts of these behaviours on overall performance and stakeholders’ feelings of inclusiveness
- Workshops: “Leadership: from the managerial ‘give and take’ approach to a ‘win-win’ inclusive scenario” (on EDHEC Business School campuses or on company premises)
Assess the effectiveness and success factors of diversity and inclusion policies in organizations.
The EDHEC Open Leadership Centre draws on its expertise in the field of diversity, inclusion and leadership key performance indicators to assist organizations in the design of their diversity policies and the creation of effective and contextualized frames of reference and HR processes.
- Research on the assessment of diversity and inclusion policies
- Assistance in the implementation of diversity and inclusion practices in HR policies
- Assistance in the creation of perception indicators designed to assess the effectiveness of the diversity and inclusion policies implemented
- Diversity and inclusion rankings: comparative study of the effectiveness of diversity and inclusion policies in large French companies
- Study of annual employee evaluations to identify potential biases (in terms of gender, occupation, culture, age) and expectations of assessors
- Workshops: “Use your charisma to develop your leadership skills” (on EDHEC Business School campuses or on company premises).
- Diversity & Inclusion Challenge